Eight ideas for criminal justice reforms that are ripe for legislative victory.
Folks from the Prison Policy Initiative are great. Here’s their list abstracted:
- Ending prison gerrymandering
- Lowering the cost of a call home from prison or jail
- Repealing or reforming ineffective and harmful sentencing enhancement zones
- Protecting letters from home in local jails
- Requiring racial impact statements for criminal justice bills
- Repealing “Truth in Sentencing”
- Creating a safety valve for mandatory minimum sentences
- Reducing pretrial detention
Only thing I’d add is a quick informative note on the racial impact statements. Washington State has optional “Health Impact’ statements that include equity on both disenfranchised or higher risk groups. A similar strategy could be employed, as in the examples from Oregon and others.